Saturday, February 20, 2010

It's not hard, douchebags. A grammar rant.

Okay, I've had it. I've finally snapped. I admit, I'm a bit of a grammar and spelling Nazi. Hell, sometimes I correct people when they comment on my blogs. I make no apologies for it, and if you expect one, then fuck off. However, I received an email today with the subject of "your hot". I shit you not. Your. My hot what? I would have replied with that question, but something tells me that the recipient wouldn't have been in on the joke. I mean, this person didn't seem phased that my default picture is currently one of me in my wedding dress. At my wedding. Getting married. If someone can't take that sort of hint, I fear the subtleties of my sarcastic question would have whizzed ten feet or so over his head. Someone I respect once said that the blogosphere is a "congregation of self-important hookers and weirdos". While that statement bears a lot of truth, he also should have added that it is a haven for illiterate fucktards who create pages upon pages of tripe rife with egregious spelling and grammatical atrocities. That's not to say that this is the only place this happens. Far from it. Hell, even upper-level executive, three piece suit management types do it. I've seen it often.

It's ridiculous. It's fucking embarrassing.

I don't know, maybe I actually paid attention in school. Maybe this shit comes naturally to me. Maybe I'm a fucking grammar and spelling idiot savant. It doesn't really matter. What does matter is that this shit needs to stop before I lose my mind.

So with no further ado, here's a crash course, okay?

lose - the opposite of win, to misplace something, ONE FUCKING O.
loose - the opposite of tight, your mother/wife/sister, TWO FUCKING O's.

I see this more often that I should... how can so many people get these two confused? IDIOTS.

your - a possessive, similar to mine, his, her as in "your loose slut of a sister loses her mind every time she gets railed by your whole inbred, shitbag excuse of a family", NO FUCKING APOSTROPHE.
you're - a contraction of "you are", as in "you're a dipshit", A FUCKING APOSTROPHE.

its - another possessive, similar to your, NO FUCKING APOSTROPHE.
it's - a contraction of "it is", as in 'it's fucking simple', A FUCKING APOSTROPHE.

Need a trick? Fine - when using it's or you're, expand the contraction. If "you're head is full of shit" becomes "you are head is full of shit" and doesn't make any sense (maybe it will to you because you're a fucking idiot), then you are using the wrong word. Queef.

to - a preposition, as in "turn to the right" or "it's time to go back to school", ONE FUCKING O.
too - an adverb (know what that is?), synonymous with "also", "as well" as in "Really? I went to college, too. I actually read a fucking book." It can also be used to mean "to a regrettable degree" as in "It's too late for you, moron", TWO FUCKING O's.
two - a number, it comes after one.

there - an adverb, similar to here as in "your short bus is over there".
their - yet another possessive, similar to your as in "it's not their fault that you're a fucking retard. It's your fault."
they're - a contraction of "they are" as in "they're not responsible for your complete ignorance of your own fucking language. Read a book!"

affect - a verb, to influence, as in "Your consistent poor grammar negatively affects my opinion of your intelligence, fucktard." A FUCKING A.
effect - a noun, result, as in "Your inability to spell, punctuate or use words in the proper context had a terrible effect on my ability to view you as an intelligent lifeform, you douchebag." A FUCKING E.

Occasionally, effect may be used to mean to bring about" or "cause", as in "Try as I might, I could not effect real change to your level of intelligence by kicking you in the skull."

Effect and affect are similar but not interchangeable. To effect is to cause; to affect is to influence.One trick that might help you remember the difference between the two: a, the first letter in the word affect, comes before e, the first letter of effect. This makes sense, because something is affected first, and the result is an effect. For example: Your complete inability to grasp the basic constructs of the English language affected our ability to understand your point; the effect of this was that we all laughed at you, mocking your ignorance, you asshat.

I/me - man, you would think this one would be a no-brainer. But no. I see so many pictures on teh Interweb bearing a caption similar to "Jessica and I at the mall". Wrong, fucktard. Here's a handy rule. Remove your BFF Jessica from the picture for a moment, shall we? You wouldn't say "I at the mall," would you? (Well, you probably would, but that misses the point) If saying "I at the mall" makes poor sense, then you should probably recaption your shitty little picture to say "Jessica and me at the mall", mmmkay?

Really, it's not fucking hard, douchebags.

By the way, grammar is spelled with two fucking a's. So next time you want to comment on someone for bad "grammer", at least spell it right.

Douche.