Sunday, February 7, 2010

I Love My Dog, but... Ewwwwww

I love my dog, but there are times when she is so gross I don't know what to do. She happily licks out my other dog's ear canals, and eats used Kleenex out of the trash. She sniffs out all manner of grossness. She would fight for a morsel of vomit. And she delights in feces. Lest you think that just any feces would do, oh no - this dog is a feces connoisseur. She will only eat her own.

I didn't believe the early reports that she was a poop sucker. I'd never even heard the phrase coprophagia before until my son reported seeing her do it. I thought he was playing a prank or angling for more allowance, somehow. But no sooner did he tell me than I myself found her in the living room, hypnotically munching her own poo - with a smack-smack-smack sound, the kind you might make when you swirl a delicious food in your mouth and roll your eyes. She was in an elevated state of the yummies - and she was eating her own turd.

She's barely bigger than a turd herself. And very cute. Everyone loves her.


I did my research and learned that it's a fairly common thing for a dog to do. It's a doggie idiosyncrasy, they say. (Needless to say we have banned doggie kisses in our household). I even took her to the vet. There's a medication that supposedly stops this nasty, disgusting behavior. And it worked. For the whole 14 days she took it. It's supposed to break the behavior long enough for your dog to be retrained. To "forget" that they like the taste of their feces, I guess. But not our dog. As soon as the medication stopped, she was right back to munching on her own poop, as if it were filet mignon.

Since the day I discovered her habit for turd snacking, I have never looked at her the same way again. Oh, I go through the motions, but it's always there waiting to bubble to the surface, the picture of her munching poop. She's as cute as a little stuffed animal, but I just can't surrender to her cuteness - because I know what she is stuffed with.